If I am injured in a bicycle accident and my health insurer pays for my accident-related medical bills and I accept a settlement, do I have to pay my health insurer back?

The answer is generally  “yes”. This is called subrogation or the right of recovery by your health insurance providers. If you are on Medicare or Medicaid, you must pay them back once you receive your settlement from the at fault party. This is required by statute and is a “super lien”. You also must pay back your health insurer and your own auto medical payments provider in many situations. You should consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer to address and protect you in these situations before mistakes are made and you owe more than your settlement!

Personal Injury Attorney Kenneth Knabe: Knabe Law Firm Co., LPA: 14222 Madison Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107. Phone: 216-228-7200

More from the blog